Monday, September 29, 2008

Muzzle Loader Deer Hunt

The big Muzzle loader Deer Hunt.  This is my hunt. Each year we take off a week and head up to go hunting.  Emma stays back at Dustin's parents place in Kamas and we head off hunting in the mornings and Nights.  This year Dustin's brother invited a few friends from Tennessee.  A veterinarian, his wife and their friend.  They were the nicest people I have ever met.   We really enjoyed their company.  Each morning we would head out between 5-5:30 am and hike our tails off.  The hunt started on Wednesday morning and by Saturday night hunt we decided we were killing anything with horns on it.  (we were going to settle for a two point just for the meat).  That is when we jumped this big guy and two other bucks.  One of the others we jumped was bigger than this below we just couldn't get on it.  They are amazingly fast animals and I was surprised we even got this one down.   It was about 6:30 at night and not enough time for Dustin to skin it and quarter it so we tagged it and returned in the morning with more sun light  to prepare it to get it  off the mountain.  While we were getting ready to head down one of the men from Tennessee shot a 3-4 buck.  


These are a few pics of the Deer we shot.  Dustin quartered the deer meat and put it in his and his Dad's pack and then Dustin put the deer head and cape on his pack which he packed out.  I think his pack weighed about 140-150 pounds.   He is crazy.

If we weren't hiking I was trying to rest or of course feed my face as you can see above.  This is granola with blueberries and milk.  A dehydrated food package that we tried out this hunt.  It was yummy.

Dustin always on the look out.   ( Isn't he hot in his Camo's!!!!!)
Being pregnant it was very tiring to Hike.  I tried to get a break whenever I could.  My husband is part mountain goat. (I really think so.)  He is nuts he never likes to stop.  We covered a lot of ground on foot. 
This is me resting and Dustin cooking us dinner.  He has this cool thing called a jet boil which is pictured above.  you put water in this cup and this little propane bottle boils the water and you pour the boiling water in dehydrated food package.  I believe this night we had Chicken Terriyaki with rice.  The were surprisingly good. 
Dustin' brother and his friends from Tennessee.  They were such nice people and I am sure we will keep in touch with them.  They have invited us all to go back to Tennessee and Whitetail Deer hunt.
Dustin loves to take pictures and is getting quite good at scenery pics.  You can't even imagine how beautiful it was up there this year hunting.  Here are a few pics Dustin took of the Fall trees and leaves.  It was absolutely amazing. 








5 comments:

Shirley said...

You guys make that stuff look way fun! Congrat on the deer Brandon and I are looking forward to our yearly deer meat dinner :) Ha Ha Ha. Dustin those pictures are beautiful! I can't believe the color!

The Pegnato's said...

Good Job!! Your are funny:)

Kristin said...

Wow, you are some woman to be prego and out doing all that hiking. I think I would be back at camp:) Your hubby took some beautiful pictures! I miss the drive to Heber this time of year. I am working at St M Oct 23 and 27, FYI! Do you work those days?

Kristin said...

I'm thinking beginning of the year but I have not set date. I will know when it's time. I am just torn. I miss it there so much but I don't mind it here all the time either:( I will be back!

Anonymous said...

you look so cute sleeping its kinda like watching little emma sleep. you are such a good little wife. Tell Dustin he is so good at pictures and ask him if he will do my girls for Xmas? love ya all